Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Glory to Glory

If you follow any of my musical updates or if you've been to any of the worship events I've played in the last year, you've probably heard my song "Glory to Glory".   The track, which is about to be released as a single from the upcoming "Dusty Stages" album, is much more corporate than most of my songwriter music (thus making it great for singalong worship).  And even though this particular song is not my first choice in style, at least for my own compositions, the theme of the piece is hugely important in shaping how I've viewed my walk with Christ.

The title phrase comes from the King James Version's take on 2 Corinthians 3:18 which reads:

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."

A more modern and literal translation (the English Standard Version) reads:

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit."

I believe God calls His adopted sons and daughters to spend intensely personal time in His presence, something I know I need to be seeking more on a daily level. It is my understanding that Jesus desires the kind of trust and peace of relationship that He had with Moses (Exodus 33:11) for ALL OF HIS CHILDREN.  The presence of God, that place where we see His power and love and SELF reflecting as if from a pool, is where we who believe can soak up the glory of the Creator and take it out to the world!  We can grow from each visit to His presence and radiate His love from our face, just like Moses coming down from Mt. Sinai (Exodus 34:29)

The compelling image, this grace-fueled molding into the image of God's glory, has been a hugely gravitational force in most of my Christian journey.  As someone that learns well through experiential and tactile study, I desire a fierce and personal encounter with my Savior. Hearing about something God was doing or something He could do was never enough for me, I wanted (and still want) to see Him move for myself, in all of His manifestations. Not that I'm not excited about victories I witness in other peoples' testimonies, I just get CRAZY EXCITED to see the Holy Spirit move in new ways in my own story.

Thinking back to my very formative high school and college years, there was always a groaning urge to do bigger and better things with the Lord.  If I had prayed and healed 2 people, I wanted to pray for 10 the next time.  If a C.S. Lewis book like "The Screwtape Letters" changed my understanding of God for the better, I wanted to read EVERYTHING by Lewis or any of his friends.  During these periods, there was nothing I wanted more than to see more of God

However, in recent months I've been struggling to remain confident in the aforementioned passion. As I mentioned in past blog posts, Brandy and I had been without a true home church until the beginning of this summer.  The lack of fellowship, combined with a period of laziness in personal study and daily prayer, brought me to a place of grumbling and woe-is-me guilt.  

BUT, thanks to great conversations with a church staff that quickly and sincerely loved on Brandy and I, we've truly come out of a rut through the ministry of the Maryville Vineyard church family.

For the first time in what seems like an embarrassingly long while, I feel that healthy and beautiful urge of God's Spirit to seek Him out in each moment of the day.  Though not every hour feels like a new glory to glory discovery, I can gratefully say that the Lord is calling to me louder than in months past (that or my ears aren't clogged with distractions).

In my work, in my music and new album, in my marriage, and in my church-life, I am genuinely ready to reach heights of ministry that my wife and I have yet to see!

WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY LAST THOUGHT:
We cannot let ourselves, as believers saved through grace, despair in moments that seem dark.  No matter how long our stumble, the tie that is God's salvation and love does not vanish because of our human imperfections or weak moments. We don't have to crawl back to a point we once knew, Jesus picks us right back up and into His pace the moment we repent. 

And sometimes you reach the next peak of glory through the valley of the shadow of death, so don't give up when looking at your circumstance or position, but instead ask God to shine light and show you where is wonderfully formative glory can be found.

Thanks for reading or listening, and thanks for any prayers for my family's ministry.  Let me know if you ever need to talk or pray.




No comments:

Post a Comment